Thursday, February 26, 2009

on a day like today

snow makes everything exciting. so does twitter.

classes after 4:40 were canceled today. so I took a 30 minute bus ride to st paul to retrieve my car, which I had parked there in preparation for my evening class. there was at least three inches already, so you can only imagine the driving conditions. lets just say I only made it halfway up one hill before I had to hit neutral and roll my way back down the hill. it took me over an hour to do what is normally the 25 minute commute, and that was with me staying off the already bumper-to-bumper highways. over an hour and an entire quarter tank of gas. my car was not made for winter driving.

but, i experienced the sheer power of twitter today. I'll share two links:

http://search.twitter.com - this is twitter's search engine. I don't get it's not linked anywhere on the home page, but for some reason it's not.
http://twiterfall.com - this is twitter's search engine on steriods. it's basically a gui for the search function.

but starting here, you can see what force this little blizzard (really, it was little in terms of what the midwest SHOULD be used to) had on the twitter network. #snowmageddon was the #1 search for at least two-three hours today. it ranked on top of many twitter trend lists. and honestly, since what I'd have prefered to do (see: cuddle with love and watch lost) with the moc-white-out, it was the best way to experience the bliz'rd.

i was connected to a huge group of people, sharing pictures, stories, tid-bits, interesting thoughts. @pfutz provided sarcastic comentary. I saw pictures of the bumper-to-bumper i had avoided, heard a story of a car on fire desperately trying to be drentched by it's owner with snow, heard about the class closings the moment it was decided, @city_pages informed me that punch was giving away free pizza to the brave souls who made it out, and when the city declared the snow emergency, I was able to save myself a phone call and move my car and not get towed.

twitter is blowing up yo. fox 9 news (my go-to) reported that this time, the UofM informed their students of class closings with a new technology (new?) called twitter. fbook just failed at aquiring twitter at the cost of $100 mil, and it's being touted as the next YouTube.

oh hay, RT @towmageddon Hey MSP - 8 inches of fluff and counting.

2 comments: