Sunday, February 22, 2009

overheard on a sunday

Sundays in Dinkytown always provide interesting overheard conversations. Of course, it's hard to overhear anything with skull candy ear-buds in (which are by far the best ear-buds I have ever owned). But even the brief moments where my ears are free from booka shade pandora radio, I am enamored by the nonsense I hear.

Today, I'm at Espresso Royale, and have been since 9 am. It was pretty much empty when I got here, but now there are only a few free tables and no free chairs. The mass seems to be made up of groups of students (girls mainly) who are meeting up to do their homework. Their laptops are on the table, but either closed or opened to facebook. And the conversation topics are anything BUT scholarly. It seems that these rendezvous are mainly to discuss the happenings of the weekend. Who did what? He did not say that. I can't believe how drunk she was. Do you remember what we did last night?

Or, as I stand outside hoping my laptop isn't stolen while I have my back turned, I watch two "thugs" emerge from the 'towner. One is following the other. They get halfway down the block when the leader starts yelling, turns around and slugs the other. It's very anticlimactic, the one who got hit just runs away, but still provides a certain degree of entertainment and fascination.

2 comments: